Sighetu Marmatiei is a city located in northwestern Romania, in the historical region of Maramures. The city has a rich cultural and historical tradition and is a popular destination for visitors who want to experience the traditional way of life and architecture of the region. Sighetu Marmatiei is also a good base to explore the beautiful nature in the region.
Among the sights in Sighetu Marmatiei and its surroundings that you should see are the wooden church of Ieud Deal (Romanian Biserica din Ieud Deal), the memorial to the Jewish community (Holocaust Monument), the Orthodox monastery Barsana with its wood carvings and murals, as well as the lake Lacul Teplita and the Rodna National Park with its hiking trails, peaks and lakes. In the town of Sighetu Marmatiei and its surroundings you will also find many recreational opportunities. You can go hiking, biking and skiing in winter. You can also relax in the nature in the thermal spa Turistic Lacul Sarat – Sydora. You can go kayaking on the river Iza, whose gorge you should also visit.
Highlights Sighetu Marmatiei
- Wooden Church of Leud Deal (rumänisch Biserica din Ieud Deal)
- Holocaust Monument
- Orthodox Monastery Barsana
- Ethnography-Museum (Muzeul Etnografic al Maramuresului)-
- Happy Cemetry Sapanta (Cimitirul Vesel)
- Blue Lake (Lacul Albastru)
- Traditional country market (Targ de Tare)
- Rodna-National Park
- Memorial Victims of the Communist Regime(Memorialul Victimelor Comunismului și al Rezistenței)
City Guide Sighetu Marmatiei
- Restaurant tips
- Tourist Info – Centrul de Informare Turistica Sighetu Marmatiei
Address: Piața Libertății 26, Sighetu Marmației
You should also visit one of the local markets in Sighetu Marmatiei, where you can buy local products such as honey, cheese and handicrafts. For accommodation, there are a number of places to stay in Sighetu Marmatiei and its surroundings. Furthermore, restaurants offer traditional Romanian food and various international dishes.