The city of Miercurea Ciuc (Szeklerburg) is located in the historical region of Transylvania in Romania and is worth seeing. There are many historical sights in Miercurea Ciuc, including the Miko Castle (Mikó Citadel), which today houses the Hungarian History Museum (Muzeul Secuiesc al Ciucului). The monastery (Manastirea Franciscana), which includes the Basilica of St. Mary (Bazilica Șumuleu Ciuc), is also interesting and worth seeing. The monastery and its church are among the most famous pilgrimage sites in Romania. Other churches in the city area include the Millennium Church (Biserica Mileniului) and the Holy Cross Church (Biserica Sfânta Cruce). One of the most imposing buildings in the city is a school building (Liceul Marton Aron). Explore the city best on foot and keep your eyes open. There are numerous old buildings and beautiful facades. You should also walk along the promenade (Strada Petofi). On the pedestrian zone you can shop, eat in one of the restaurants or just enjoy the special atmosphere.
In Miercurea Ciuc you can also find a cultural center where numerous events take place. And besides the already mentioned museum, there is also the Museum of Olt and Superior Mures (Muzeul Oltului si Muresului Superior) and the Memorial House of the artist Nagy Imre (Casa Memorială Nagy Imre), who is world famous for his works of art. If you need a break then visit the city park (Parcul Central). You can relax in the thermal bath (Strandul Szeredai Miercurea Ciuc). Another popular place is Jigodin, which is popular with hikers. There is also a hot mineral water spring and a ski resort. Cold is on the skating rink of the city (Patinoarul acoperit Vákár Lajos). The town of Miercurea Ciuc is also a popular tourist destination due to its location in the Carpathian Mountains and the related nature and outdoor activities such as hiking, skiing and cycling. Lower Harghita Mountains (Muntii Harghita) are popular, where you can find numerous hiking trails and natural beauties.
Highlights Miercurea Ciuc
- Promenade (Strada Petofi Miercurea Ciuc)
- Hungarian History Museum in Mikó Citadel(Muzeul Secuiesc al Ciucului)
- Monastery (Manastirea Franciscana)
- Basilica of Our Blessed Lady(Bazilica Șumuleu Ciuc)
- Millennium Church (Biserica Mileniului)
- Holy Cross Church (Biserica Sfânta Cruce)
- Vákár Lajos Ice Rink(Patinoarul acoperit Vákár Lajos)
- Hot mineral water spring(Strandul Szeredai Miercurea Ciuc)
- Casa De Cultură A Sindicatelor Miercurea Ciuc
- Cultural center “Miron Cristea
- Impressive building (Liceul Marton Aron)
- Museum of Olt and Upper Mures (Muzeul Oltului si Muresului Superior)
- City Park (Parcul Central)
- Theatre (Teatrul Municipal Csiki Jatekszin)
- Museum (Casa Memorială Nagy Imre)
Miercurea Ciuc is worth seeing and at the same time a good starting point to explore the nearby surroundings or to go hiking, biking and skiing in winter. Not far away (90Km) is also the Parcul Național Ceahlău and the gorge Bicaz. Worth seeing is also the salt mine (Salina Praid ), which is about 90 kilometers away. I would like to mention the bobsleigh track in Ghimeș (Pista de bob din Ghimeș) at 30 kilometers and Saint Ana Lake at 60 kilometers. Or how about a brewery visit (Centrul de vizitare al fabricii de bere Csíki Sör).